Zeynep's (mis)Adventures in Ruritania

arise, oh people, let us hear your voices... your voices of freedom.

Monday, May 24

glad to be back

The cafe is open again! Here are some updates from the past week...

- My brother Zeke got lost in the camp when he went with Zoe and I to see another movie presentation (they showed The Bear). These movies seem to be more popular with the refugees now, so when we went to leave, he got separated in the group of people all leaving the community tent at once. We searched for 30 minutes before we found him - that place is huge, and scary in certain sections at night. He had run into a UNHCR worker who had brought him to the registration area, and this worker was none other than Ian! I couldn't believe it! So, we had another chance to chat and then Zoe, Zeke, and I headed home. We didn't say a word to our parents about it - we all know our mom would freak out if we did.

- Now that my mom's been able to go out again, she's met this young lady who sells handmade artsy things in town. After speaking a few times, she believes that this girl and Ezra would make a great couple. And of course this has both embarrased and annoyed my brother. I think both Ezra and I trust our mother's matchmaking abilities but she's so forceful about it... and to illustrate this point, my mom's invited this girl, Nia, over for dinner this Wednesday. I think it'll be a disaster, but we'll see.

Oh, Mr. Fitzgerald just gave me a big box of beef jerky that he got while he was away. Where did he go and how many more boxes did he bring back with him?