Zeynep's (mis)Adventures in Ruritania

arise, oh people, let us hear your voices... your voices of freedom.

Saturday, April 10

Rain's coming down and I listen to the sound of your voice.

I saw him again today and now I can put a name to a face! :D

While visiting Ezra at his market job, I bought a few things that my mom asked me for. I put the cabbage and apples into the paper bag I was given, and I started my journey home. As I was just stepping outside of the market area, the bottom of my bag broke and my items fell to the ground. I leaned down to pick up the now bruised apples, when I heard an attractive voice that I recognized say, "Lemme help you with that."

I looked up to see a handsome face with the most welcoming eyes I've looked into in weeks. Upon his body was adorned a UNHCR outfit. I couldn't say anything to him, as I was pre-occupied with trying to keep breathing. "Bags these days, they just don't make them as they do, huh?" I still couldn't answer although I was screaming in my head to say anything. He continued, "Oh, I'm terribly rude, my name's Ian." I still couldn't speak, and I was wondering if I had forgotten an entire language in a matter of a few seconds.

He looked at me confused and paused, and I assumed at this point that he thought I was either mute or just dumb. He laughed and then exclaimed, "Do you even understand I'm word I'm saying?" And then, my paralysis ended and I could finally say something.

"Hi," I said.
"So you did understand everything I was saying, then?" he responded good-naturedly.
"I'm Zeynep."
"Are you a refugee at the camp?"
"I'm a refugee, yes, but I don't live in the camp."
"I'm a worker there with the UNHCR, but originally I'm from Australia... oh, hold on a moment and I'll get you a functional bag."

While he did this modest task, I collected myself as to not seem so idiotic. I then remembered where I had heard his voice from before. When my family and I were visiting the camp for the first time, I heard a lovely accent and my eyes followed my ears to spot a very gorgeous camp worker, whose name I now knew... Ian! He returned, placed my items in the new bag, and said, "Well, it was nice to meet you Zeynep. I hope to see you around." And then he left.

I looked back to see my brother, laughing away. To which I gave him the evil eye and restarted my walk home.